What is Sports Medicine?
Sports Medicine doctors specialize in treating and preventing sports related injuries and illness.
What to expect?
Your first visit to a physiotherapist will involve an initial assessment designed to determine the source of your symptoms and the best approach to treat them. During this assessment the physiotherapist will ask you questions about the nature of your symptoms, your previous medical history and other relevant health information. The physiotherapist will also examine the parts of your body related to your symptoms and may ask you to perform certain movements or exercises in order to gain more insight into your problem. Based on this initial assessment and your personal goals, the physiotherapist will determine an appropriate plan of care for you.
- Achilles tendon injury
- Achilles tendonitis
- Ankle sprains
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries
- Clavicle fracture
- Common sports injuries
- Uncommon sports injuries
- Delayed-onset muscle soreness
- Hamstring pull
- Hamstring tear
- Hamstring strain
- Knee pain and ligament injuries
- Iliotibial (IT) band friction syndrome
- Muscle cramps
- Overtraining syndrome
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints
- Shoulder tendonitis Shoulder bursitis
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Stress fracture
- Tennis elbow
- Torn rotator cuff
- Sports- and exercise-related screenings and risk assessment
- Sports-medicine physicians
- Speech pathologists
Canadian Academy of Sports and Exercise Medicine